1 day Course & Workshop. Prop Styling and Content Creation for Food, Still Life, Product and Social Media Photography. Nottingham, Friday June 7th 2019
Prop Styling and Content Creation for Food, Still Life, Product and Social Media Photography. Nottingham, Friday June 7th 2019
For the Saturday workshop of the same format please click here. Limited spaces!
If you would like to improve your styling skills and gain confidence in producing photography content to promote your craft, product or brand this is a great way to be taught first hand and have an inspiring day learning with other creatives and business owners.
I meet so many people who have invested significant amounts in cameras but don't know how use them in the right way for their product or who just don't have confidence in selecting props and styling an image or even 'putting things out there' on social media - don't be shy, we can cover all of this in just one day and send you away buzzing with ideas and inspiration feeling confident to create more content and enjoy it.
Starting with the theory and going in to a practical workshop with help on hand and direct feedback we will cover -
- planning your content as part of an overall marketing strategy
- content and copy ideas
- prop sourcing
- creating a signature style
- basic camera functions
- lighting tips and using natural light
- choosing angles, crops and focal depths to best showcase a variety of subjects
- selecting props and telling your story
- how to style fabric and linens
- using colour
- creating depth and texture
- checking the details
- step by step shot set up and execution
- after the practical part of the session we will talk about what we've learnt and how to go forward confidently
We will provide -
- two backdrops worth £36 per attendee which are yours to keep (One light and one dark would make good use of the training as they light so differently but the choice is yours, you can select from my entire range.)
- still life props such as ceramics, linen, glassware, seasonal flowers, cutlery and fresh produce for use on the day
- hot and cold drinks, snacks and a healthy but hearty lunch (please advise any dietary requirements on booking)
- all learning materials will be provided as print outs during the session and on email afterwards with your certificate of attendance
- further information and informal chat on booking to ensure you get the most out of the day
Come along and have a go, it will make so much difference to your business or brand, a very worthwhile investment!
What you will need to bring -
- your camera or phone and charger
- a tripod if you want to use one (advised but not essential)
- three subjects to shoot, this could be your product or craft, some food you have prepared for recipe photography, something shop bought for ease and to focus solely on the props or whatever else you would like to shoot within a still life setting (think table top size around 2x3 feet).
- any props you love to use or are finding tricky and would like help with
- your note book
The Flour Mill studio provides a perfect setting for our photography workshop with tall Victorian windows running down either side of the space giving us lots of natural light and space to work.
The workshop will run from 10am to 5pm and there is ample parking in the public carpark opposite. We are on the first floor of an old Victorian mill so there are stairs to get up and down at the beginning and end of the day.
Spaces are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment!
Address - 2b Upper Floor, Derby Street, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 2LG
If you can't make these dates, don't panic! Contact me to discuss 1-1 tuition or to organise a workshop near you.
Testimonials from tuition and workshop attendees
I really enjoyed my day. It was great to have you there to advise and it was a massive learning curve on the photography side! It's a fabulous space and a pleasure to work in. Everyone was lovely and it was very interesting to see how many different food careers everyone was involved in. Kirsty Wilson-Close, York @kirstys.kitchen.
Oh waow thank you guys!!!! Such an inspiring and creative day, I had a blast and I got some new perspective to take my food photography to the next level. Thank you so much! So happy to meet you, you're really good at what you're doing. Matilda Hammar, Stockholm @matildahammar
Just got home after a great weekend. Really enjoyed the workshop, and learned a lot.
It was so useful to have space and permission to create, not something I’ve had time or energy for lately. Also just unpacked the goody bag, lots of useful things and the gift voucher is very tempting, thanks. Rachel Cohen, Edinburgh @travelswithmyphone @travelswithmyfork
Sophie has worked in styling and photography for over 20 years having moved through retail styling, product design, buying and marketing, always with a hand in photographic styling and then creative direction and content creation for national advertising campaigns, print catalogues and online/social media marketing. Her extensive background means she has a broad understanding of business and marketing as well as the creative talents to execute ideas beautifully and successfully.
Clients include Aldi, Harrods, Royal Doulton, Wedgwood, Asda, Filippo Berio, Waterford Crystal, Denby, ckbk, Gordon Ramsay, Ellen DeGenerese, Howdens Kitchens and many more.